Saturday, January 19, 2013

Whole30 Day 6

Saturday!

Sleep: about 8-9 hrs? I'm not exactly sure when I fell asleep. I slept in until about 8:30 this morning, though, and it was glorious.

Exercise: no specific activity. Kina didn't get a walk today because I had so many errands to run. :( She did, however, get a car ride to and from my parents' place, and a visit with my parents (her two favorite people... outside of me, of course).

Meal 1:
eggs scrambled with veggies (tomato, onion, broccoli slaw)
spaghetti squash


Meal 2:
I was out running errands when hunger hit, but I wasn't finished with errands. I'm a firm believer in making this work with my life, not letting it change everything about my life. That means I wasn't going to drive home to pull the kalua pork out of the fridge for my meal and then head back out to finish my errands. It would have been a phenomenal waste of time. 

So what's a girl to do? I went to Carl's Jr. for a turkey burger, low carb style, without cheese or any sauces. Why Carl's Jr? I had a choice between In N Out or Carl's Jr. Whole9 recommends going as lean as possible with meat if you don't know where it's coming from so as to minimize your exposure to antibiotics, hormones fed to the animals. In N Out has a commitment to "fresh" beef that comes from a source close enough by that they don't have to freeze the patties. I like that fact a lot, but it doesn't guarantee that the cows are healthy... ergo, I went to Carl's Jr. for a turkey burger: 


Meal 3: 
late afternoon "snack" of kalua pork and some cashews to tide me over until dinner at mom's.

Meal 4: 
beef stir fried with gai lan
chicken breast stir fried with sweet peppers (red and orange)

My mom had guests over for dinner, so I didn't feel that it was appropriate to pull my phone out to take a photo of my plate (my phone was safely tucked away in my purse, nowhere near the table). 
The most awesome part of dinner? The fact that my mom took my "diet" into account, and stir fried separate dishes for me without soy sauce (which, if you know my mom, is a HUGE victory). She tried to find olive oil for me, but didn't have any, so she used grapeseed oil. 

Technically this is enough to have counted as a "fail" on my Whole30. Please see, however, the sentence above about this working within the confines of my life, not taking over my life. Food should be fuel, not my everything, my all-consuming-i-just-ate-but-am-now-worried-about-what-I'll-be-able-to-eat-next-because-I-MUST-be-perfect master. I already felt honored enough that my mom made an Edeline-specific dinner while the rest of her guests ate whatever she made. I was NOT about to stamp my foot and fold my arms in the middle of the kitchen like a petulant child and INSIST that she cook my food with olive oil, not grapeseed or I wouldn't eat it.

I'm also pretty sure it is not a healthy response to food for me to become a recluse and not go out with friends/family/coworkers because I won't be able to eat Whole30 compliant foods.

After dinner, I came home to relax a little bit, but made the mistake of keeping the cashews open. I started mindlessly snacking on them, and ate more than I should have. While these are Whole30 compliant, my compulsion to overeat them is not. I think I should not purchase bags of nuts anymore until I can better manage my "feed" compulsion.

It's about 11:30 pm, and my fuelband reads: 3222. Running errands and doing housework!

Tomorrow is my first social event. Here's to making it work!

4 comments:

Eeyore99877 said...

Wow! Good for you! Glad the turkey burger and dinner with the parents worked out for you. It is so much easier to change you diet when your family and friends understand. Congrats, and good luck at today's social event!!!

chungabunga said...

good job incorporating a healthy lunch choice into living life normally! thanks for explaining why you chose Carl's Jr instead of in n out. I hadn't thought of the distinction before!

it's incredibly supportive of your mom to prepare dishes compatible with your goals! :)

so I thought grapeseed oil was supposed to be healthier than olive oiI in high heat cooking because it had a higher smoke point so it didn' t turn toxic during the cooking process. is this why you say it was technically a fail day?

edeline lu said...

Thanks for the continued support guys!

Chung, I think it's more the inflammatory components of what the oil comes from (although how it reacts to heat and light is a factor as well).

chungabunga said...

ah, i see