Monday, January 28, 2013

Whole30 day 14

Sleep:
8 hrs? I didn't keep track. Just went to sleep and let myself wake up whenever I wanted to.

Exercise:
went to the OC Greatpark with Mom, Dad and Kina to try out my new bicycle. We did pretty well until I was playing on the grass with Kina, and slipped and fell on my bum. My pants were soaked through because the grass was still wet from all the rain we've had in southern California. End playing.

Meal 1:
Kalua pork with veggies
2 cuties

Meal 2:
1/3 lb burger in a bowl at the counter with mom an dad (grilled pineapple, tomato, onion, peppers)
Sweet potato fries

Since starting the Whole30, I've restricted my meals with my parents because my mom tends to go a little overboard on feeding me. It's been tough telling her to not cook for me (I realize this also sounds very first-world-problemy), but she has been really great at respecting my wishes. She has tried a number of times to bring me food, but my "no thank you's" are getting firmer, and her response has been more acquiescent.

Meals are a big part of quality time in my family, though, and to deny my mom that is pretty much to renounce my last name. So I took them out for burgers. Yes, I went to The Counter again. I tried for California Fish Grill, but my mom didn't feel like having fish.

My parents commented on how clear my complexion is, as well as how I've slimmed down already. My dad would like to try a Whole30, but when I told him "no soy, no cereal, no rice, no bread," his enthusiasm waned a wee little bit. :) It's ok. Baby steps. I'm hoping the change I show them in my 30 days will be evidence enough for them to clean things up a bit.

Meal 3:
Brat at staples center (clippers game)

Ah, dinner... met up with old friends from optometry school to go to a Clipper's game at the Staples Center. We went to a place called Corkbar to have an early dinner before the game. Everybody else ordered sliders, grilled cheese, steak sandwiches. I ordered salmon and asked to replace the lentils with broccolini.

The time came to leave (we needed to get in to the game) but my food and one other person's food had not come. I started to stress out a little bit because I knew missing the game was not an option, but stadium food is also horrible for a Whole30.

I'm a team player, though, so I cancelled my order and left without eating. At the Staples Center, I ordered a sausage that came drizzled in nacho cheese and peppers (I looked everywhere, and not a description in sight... I should have asked, but I didn't want to be that person that held up a huge line asking if the meat is organic and if there was dairy on it). So I scraped off the cheese (omg, did that really take some will power, because I love synthetic nacho cheese!) and ate the brat and peppers.

My friend sitting next to me ate the bun and the cheese, and then proceeded to buy nachos with extra cheese and a beer. Bastard. Two seats down from me, my friend had popcorn. Jerk.

Me? I sipped my $4 bottle of water the rest of the night. Sigh.

Lesson: I CAN do it. It wasn't fun, but it also wasn't that hard. I felt pretty good about myself. Will I always be so iron-willed? Probably not, but knowing that I can will help me to pause a little longer the next time I'm faced with temptation.

fuelband: I forgot to log again, but at arond 11:15 pm last night, it read about 3200.



4 comments:

Eeyore99877 said...

I think it's awesome that you are able to eat with your family AND at staples center without throwing away your new eating habits! You are certainly encouraging me to make better choices!

Eeyore99877 said...

And I decided to get a fitbit- it's a little cheaper than the Nike fuel band and the website doesn't have a monthly fee. I like gadgets, and figure between weight watchers points, my fitness pal calorie intake and my fitbit calorie outtake I should be able to do this. And I decided to go ahead and do this all at once. My ideal weight is between 134 and 164 lbs. new goal? 109 pounds in 2 years. I want to lose the equivalent of a small person over 2 years...it will be super hard but I have my mind set on it :)

chungabunga said...

i think camacho's (the one i go to is on the upper level) has a tostada salad. maybe it'll be a decent alternative if you ditch the tortilla shell.

edeline lu said...

Eeyore (I guess I should keep your anonymity, hey?),
You can do it! There will be baby steps, huge gains, and slip ups! Just keep working at it!

let me know how your fitbit goes!

Chungabunga,
I will have to remember that for the next time I'm at the Staples center!