progress report:
1. my workouts on my own have been a lot less than stellar -- sadly, they've been mainly running in the morning with the dogs. The good news is I haven't lost endurance. The bad news is, I've lost muscle tone.
2. my eating has been horrible (but delicious).
3. i've been super stressed-out at work (there is just too much work, and not enough ed to go around).
summary: I'm fat again. :(
okok, not really really fat like I was when I started this whole process, but I've gained weight and definitely gained fat. I can feel it -- in my pants, in my arms when I fold them, in my belly when I sit down, in my hips... ew. just... ew.
another summary: I miss Mike. I miss the ass-kicking I got 3 times a week, and I miss the way it felt to be strong and awesome. I am feeling a lot less than awesome right now.
I had a really really really stressful weekend two weekends ago hosting NBEO part III at work, which made me lethargic and exhausted for my work week last week. I am starting to feel like I did before I started working out -- energy level down, confidence level down, stress level up, and in general, just feeling like I want to crawl in a hole to disappear, eat popcorn, and sleep all day. I have three more hours of lecture I need to prepare (eep) this week, and hopefully things will let up.
Luckily for me, I recognized my penchant for fatassery, and took a pre-emptive strike: I signed up for Crossfit!
I went in for the introduction on Saturday, where the owner/trainer/coach, Rob, intro'd me to Crossfit principles and a fit test. Crossfit is a little bit scary in that it feels a little bit like a cult, but I am looking forward to some intense workouts. I hesitantly stated a goal to do a pull-up (I always hesitate to outline this as a goal because deep down i don't really believe i can do it, and i hate setting myself up for disappointment). I will give it my best shot.
I'm glad to say I still have some of the strength and endurance I had with Mike. Here's my start point (Rob called it my point A):
500 m row
40 bw squats
30 sit ups
20 push ups (Rob wanted chest, hips and legs to touch the floor each time, so he told me to do them from the knees -- I don't think i could have done 20 full body push ups touching my chest, hips and legs to the floor each time)
10 pull ups (jumpers, of course, because I can't do 1 to save my life right now)
total time: just over 6 mins.
There is definitely room for improvement (see push ups and pull ups), but overall, he was impressed with my ability to do all the exercises nonstop. He pointed out a few problems with form that indicate I need to strengthen a few muscles, which is cool.
I signed on for twice a week for the next few months. We'll see what comes out of it. Mainly, I've learned that given the chance to slack off, I will slack off (as is evidenced by what has happened to my body in the past couple of months). I need a weekly commitment to really keep my ass in line. It's sad, but true. Admitting it is half the battle. It sucks that I will have to continue to spend money on this, but I am unwilling to let go of what I worked so hard to accomplish. hehe, I guess I know I will never be rich, but hopefully I will be FIT!
Crossfit is cheaper than going to Mike (or else I would be back with Mike in a heartbeat), and I'm hoping to make some friends who will light a fire under my butt for fitness once again in the process.
Tonight's my first Crossfit workout. Wish me luck!
1 comment:
nice to have you back!
Post a Comment