Thursday, April 30, 2009

attitude tweak?

Second workout with Mike this morning.
I don't know if it was because of the teeny-tiniest bit of carb loading I did last night at dinner, the fact that I made sure to hydrate well and go to sleep early yesterday, the mental shakedown and pump-up I gave myself, but the workout went much better. There was a whole lot less whiny bitching from me, and a lot more of "ugh, oof," etc.

I went in there with Paul's "mind over matter" mentality, mixed with a mantra of "do your worst," and "getting to sexy hurts; man-up!" Whatever it was did the trick.

Also, I think my legs are much, much, much stronger than my core and upper body, because I didn't feel like vomiting at all this morning.

Started the workout with 3.5 mph walk on the treadmill for about 15 mins, no incline.

Then:
1. side step ups (20 on each leg)
2. static lunges (25 on each leg)
3. jumping jacks
4. step ups (20 each leg) -- the bench was way too high for me to not push off my back leg. Mike wasn't saying anything about form... so... pushing off it was.
5. leg extensions on the machine (set of 25 at x, then set of 20 at a little more, then set of 25 on lowest)
6. jump squats (25)
7. lap.
8. ab work on bench (bring knees into chest) -- this exercise kicked my buttocks. He wanted me to do it without holding the bench behind me, but i couldn't. even. do. one. My abs are major suckage.
9. hammies on machine (see sets from leg extensions)
10. lay on bench with handles attached to cable machine, legs straight up. Pull handles down to hips with arms straight (I really wish I knew the names of some of these exercises). I also needed a lot of help with this one, because, again, my abs are major suckage.
11. Lap.
12. ab work on bench again
13. wide-leg squat with straight arm overhead dumbbell raise (10lbs), 20 reps each side.
14. Lap.
15. "cool down." I say "cool down," because it pretty much does nothing for cooling down. :P Treadmill at max incline, 2.5 mph for 5 mins, then upped to 3.2 mph for 5 mins. I was not supposed to hold the rail, but I would have fallen off the treadmill if i didn't. My legs were like jelly.

So all in all, minimal cheating, max sweating and cursing, but good workout. I had a hard time getting into the car to go home, and am pretty sure I will be walking like a gimp for the next two days. I am awesome.

I fell twice cuz he pushed me so hard my legs gave out. Hahaha, and he took pity on me once cuz i must have looked like crap, and switched me to a different exercise. But, important to note is: i did not ask to stop. Yessss. Mind over matter. Mind over matter.

Facing a bachellorette party this weekend, with dinner and drinks. Will be difficult to not overindulge, but I'm hoping to sneak in some cardio tomorrow after work to keep my legs sufficiently in pain to remind me of what I will have to go through to work off any indulgences I may want to give in to.

No comments: